Applying for a Permit to Acquire
- You have been a member of the club for at least six months.
- You have applied for your Category H licence with QPS.
- You have checked with your discipline representative to ensure it meets the regulations of that discipline (gun shop owners do not know the specific requirements for many disciplines)
- You have obtained a Form 18 from a member of the MPC Executive. Obtaining this paperwork before you apply online will speed up the process.
- Ensure you have secure storage facilities. This will be noted on your first PTA as part of the QPS paperwork.
- Read through QPS Weapons Licensing’s page regarding the process for Applying for a Permit to Acquire (PTA). Note there is a mandatory 28-day waiting period for new shooters, but the wait tends to be shorter for shooters who already own firearms.
- Apply for your PTA online! Note: always use the official Qld Police Service page for applying for a PTA.
- You will need to know the action of the pistol (eg revolver, semi-auto etc), class of pistol (eg A=air pistol, D=rimfire etc), calibre etc.
- QPS will email you your case reference application.
- Once you receive your PTA, and you are licensed, you can pick up your chosen firearm!
Is it your first firearm purchase?
There is usually a minimum of 28 days before you receive your PTA. Within the first 12 months of having a Category H licence, you are allowed:
- one air pistol and one rimfire (.22)
- one rimfire (.22)
- one air pistol and one centrefire pistol
- one centrefire pistol.